Monday, April 18, 2011

Whatever happened?

Growing up in the 90's I watched a lot of shows back then because I was a big nerd.

All the new things that come out with nowadays don't really appeal to me. Back then Anime's were about story telling, adventures and well basically the content was what mattered.

Modern ones, some are good, but I have serious issues with the styles and the content. I prefer the more realistic looking ones, smaller eyes, larger noses, proportionate body, I mean imagination can only take you so far right? And the content well... shows back then were basically more focused on story/adventures/drama that kinda thing. Shows nowadays do follow the same formula but are really stupid/shallow in their content. I mean even with the greatest plot, if the show is just for breasts bouncing everywhere, and panty shots, it really takes away from it. Seriously just look at real girls you perverts...

But that's just me, maybe I'm old fashioned, and of course I'm not saying all of them are like that... I'm just saying nowadays there is a lot more of it. And even some of the new ones, they are really good too.

Ghost in the Shell, Masamune Shirow

This I can deal with. Realistic figures, well defined features. The story is confusing, but it's deep, and there's plenty of action (well not really).







I know its not aimed for my demographic... But I seriously see a trend here. Any male over the age of 15 that enjoys this should think about what they are watching... COUGH*




 So those are just some examples of the bullshit that comes out nowadays compared to the quality of the product more than a decade ago. Again don't get me wrong, it's not that the entire industry that is tanking. In fact it's doing well, it's just the material they create is well questionable. Back in the day shows had real substance, like Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma 1/2, One Piece, Slam Dunk, among a few. Nowadays the shows that come out are absolute bullshit. They aren't shows for anyone to watch, they are shows designed for perverts who want to see underage cartoon girls with big purple eyes in their blue striped panties. And of course thats only a small part of the industry, but lately, their attempts at making real quality shows have tanked like no tomorrow. For example, .Hack SIGN is a piece of shit... It was a good idea, but it was totally fucked up to be really boring.  And Eureka 7... it's about this little 14 year old asshole who falls for an ugly chick and they go on a space adventure while he masturbates himself in his piece of shit gundam knockoff. Speaking of Gundams... Gundam SEED, a show about over emotional teenagers that cry for 10 episodes after killing one other robot, and don't get me started on Gundam SEED destiny, its like a piece of shit, then continuing with the shit, and it turns to diarrhea.

Seriously if you can go back to making quality shows (some very few have heard of) like DBZ, BTX, Ranma 1/2, Luna Varga, Slam Dunk, even Doraemon (was good in its time, and still a classic) I would still be watching lots. I have been seeing a few, based on recommendations from friends, but overall I think the industry has become really mediocre. There are occasionally cool ones here and there. Witch Hunter Robin was the first one I saw on late night TV on Friday, it was short but it was good. Death Note definately lived up to it's hype. All of Masamune Shirow's works were good, I suppose it's a little contradictory to what I said before, because if you've seen his earlier works, it's basically naked robot women connected to huge cables and wires and they are basically naked in awkward stances with a small metal patch covering their nipples. So it's a little pervy, but it's still better than little girls and striped panties. He's toned it down lots for his new shows though.

Anyways the whole point of this is to highlight a concern of mine. Maybe some people like the changes, in fact a lot of them do. But I really do miss the golden age of quality work, then again maybe I'm too old for this now?

No comments:

Post a Comment