Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Transformers 1986 Movie

So literally the night before my psychology final I decided to procrastinate and watch the old old Transformers movie after it was featured by my fellow Nerd Rager AngryVideoGameNerd.

So I personally wanted to critique it as well.

The  movie starts out with the giant Planet transformer Unicron (I kept calling it Unicorn first time I watched this...) devouring another robot planet. Then transitioning into whats going on at the moment at Cybertron, the Autobot/Decepticon planet. Basically the Decepticons launch an offensive against the Autobots leading all the way to Earth, and then they realize they have a situation. With the help of Optimus Prime, the danger was averted. However Optimus does die passing on the Matrix to UltraMagnus, the second biggest Autobot there. Then the story progresses into Megatrons return from the dead supposedly, into Galvatron. Hot Rod's transition from a young brash fighter into a true leader, and the Autobots struggles to survive in unknown space. Overall the movie was good, the animation was amazing for the time, and is still good now. The music was also really good I suppose, a little cheesy now, but great back then. However there are a few things I can never stand about it.

Firstly, this applies to Transformers in general not just this film, why the fuck do the Autobots turn into shitty japanese cars and minivans and other useless things, and why do the Decepticons turn into fucking jets and tanks and other bullshit that are way more useful in battle. I mean FFS one of the Autobots turns into a fucking TELESCOPE. BIG deal he can see the Decepticons flying towards them like 5 seconds before they start shooting at you.



"Ultramagnus! A cursory evaluation of Decepticon capabilities indicates a distinct tactical deficiency" Fuck you Perceptor, no one cares.
Seriously Perceptor you are a piece of shit, and IMO one of the most worthless Autobots I've ever seen.

Also equally as bad is the number of characters that died. They killed off so many different Autobots, and not just generic ones... Main characters! They killed off Ironhide, Brawn, Prowl, Thrasher, and Ratchet. Not to mention you see corpses of Windcharger and Wheeljack. Well looking back it was a bold move (and apparently to launch a new series of toys... not cool), but as a child it really traumatized me.


Next was that pussy Ultra Magnus... he doesn't do shit, he is a piece of shit, he sucks balls in the movie, all he does is get blown up and loses the Matrix and swears in front of an audience mainly with 6-12 year old children...

"But Prime, I'm not worthy... I'm just a dumbass"








 And of course there's the death of Starscream... I never liked him, but seeing him die permanently kinda made me sad... I kinda missed his really annoying voice.








 Anyways so overall I really liked the film... it was just some minor problems that kept it from being a total hit. I like the idea of the writers trying something different, but it was too much too fast. And having a huge overhaul and killing off lots of characters just to advertise new toys is not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment