Saturday, May 28, 2011

Nostalgia continued

Moving on into later days, I got the Nintendo Gamecube, arguably one of the best consoles ever made, got me hooked on every game I owned on it.

Super Smash Bros Melee. Need I say more? I played this literally every chance I got, and I never got bored, it was that good. Nintendo characters bashing eachother, with more characters, and better graphics, new levels, bringing back familiar games, nostalgia at its best. Took me about a year to get everything, not just characters, but sound test, extra modes, stages the whole thing. Well not the trophies but no one ever gets all the trophies. I'm a strange kind of gamer, and I don't really choose the over used characters that everyone is into (Falco, Marth cough) I prefer harder characters to use like Luigi, Yoshi, and some others. Anyways, all in all, this was an excellent game, and I would continue to play it for another decade or so.

Next game I got, Super Mario Sunshine, I absolutely loved it, Mario64 with improved visuals, sounds, themes, and more character interactions to boot, lots more. The bright and colorful scenario's and settings are easy to get into. The game is a huge mix of cleaning the streets, parkour, platforming, and just having a good time in general, going on amusement park rides, playing soccer in the streets, running around in the sewers, you can do almost anything. The game wasn't too hard, it was relatively easy compared to 64 but that's cuz I was much older when I beat this.

"i'm a so sad"
Luigi's mansion, man Nintendo's pathetic attempt at a horror game. I'm just kidding, it was about fun and games and about how Luigi transitions from an underdog overshadowed by his accomplished brother to a complete pussy. Anyways it's worth a play, but definitely not up to scratch. Shame on you Nintendo.

Mario Kart Double Dash. 2 guys on a Kart, twice the items, sounds good? It is good. This game is still fun even today, racing and tossing shit at people has never looked better than ever. It is significantly harder than its predecessors though. Something people need time to get used to I suppose, but otherwise a great game.

The Namco Artists always outdo themselves
Soul Calibur 2. A damn fine game. A good array of characters to choose from, and great fighting, more fluid and fast paced than it's cousin Tekken, but still has a novel quality to it's gameplay and story. The multiple (non-cannonical) endings sucked alot and it usually ended with the character getting taken over by Soul Edge, or the good characters destroying the sword and commiting suicide (WTF). This is a fun game, it's action packed, its got tons of special features (weapon masters?), and we've got plenty of panty shots (Seung Mina? Sophitia?). And yes, Talim is only 15 years old you pedophiles.

The cast, and the kid, Genus the Penis
Tales of Symphonia. RPG elements and fighting action in one game, the guy who first thought of this was a fucking genius. It fits well with the game, and this is the first Gamecube game that I've ever played to feature 2 disks. The game runs well, has great plot, visual, story, it's pretty much flawless in the major categories. If you want to nit pick, the amount of side quests is staggering, many are pointless. Also there are issues with the battle camera but thats not all that important. Played this game and beat it 4 or 5 times, lots of replay value.

Custom Robo. When I first got this, I got it cuz it looked cool, or the cover did at least, and the opening movie, oh man I was impressed, what kind of 14 year old boy would not be impressed by this.

Unfortunately the actual combat isn't quite this epic, but it's still fun nonetheless. The good part about this is you can unlock various guns and and bombs and other parts to make your perfect fighting machine. The main plot is really good, a little limited sometimes, but still good, and it is full of comic relief. You battle various people around town leading you to bigger problems, but I won't spoil that for you. Anyways this is a severely underrated game, and definitely deserves some recognition, if you are a Gamecube fan check it out.

Epic Battle

Another game that I really loved was Star Fox Assault, they really put more emphasis into the story, and of course revamped its multiplayer, unfortunately it still had above average reviews only because of the tone the first game set. All in all the first game good, and it just made this one seem not as good as it actually is, which is something plenty of review magazines talk about. But it's still good, check it out!


Yep Fox, you are fucked
While we are on the subject, Starfox Adventures is also one of those good ones. Even though it's a spin off, and it sound kinda cheesy (save the dinosaur planet?) it proved to be a good adventure game. Think of it like Starfox meets Legend of Zelda. The plot was good, lot's of good cutscenes, NPC interactions, you befriend a Triceratops called Tricky, you help out the various tribes, really like a Disney movie (I'll be making that comparison alot). The ending however really solidified it as a good game to me. You battle Andross (who would have saw that coming) and Falco reappears, that's all I'll give away, and you should have seen it coming anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment